Timing and Spacing

 


As we discussed in class the other day, timing and spacing are two important principles to understand when it comes to the basics of animation. From the perspective of someone who hasn't really animated before, it seemed simple enough: copy and paste the ellipse in each frame according to the timing chart. Timing I got somewhat quick, but spacing... yikes. This clip I've uploaded now is way different than the one I presented in class. For starters, my overshoot and settle looked way too slow and the vibrate was basically just a wave. Also one of the frames was missing in the linear set. But, the criticism pushed me in the right direction. I seriously didn't know how to fix it, until I got the advice to put the frames closer together. When I tell you it made a complete difference... it really did :) Every ball movement flows a bit more naturally now. I got a little frustrated trying to fix the frames from the original animation so I decided to just do the whole thing over (twice) and this is the final product. I've learned that if you have patience and go back to fix your mistakes, the end product is way better. 

Comments